Friday 20 February 2009

20 Feb, 2009 - Joy and Sorrows

I received a message from a lecturer in my previous university's department today, asking how I was. The kindness of this lecturer is wonderful - she always holds humanity high and never treats her students as numbers. She wrote of news, and a little gossip, and plans in the pipeline. I was delighted to hear from her.


I had the honour, a few times in my life, to meet Prof. Sally, and listen to hear speak. I found out today that she passed away a few weeks ago from a massive brain hemorrhage. I did not know her well, but her loss is a sad one. She was a wonderful scholar and from what I have heard from others, a wonderful teacher and friend. I am saddened that I cannot light a candle for her in the chapel on Sunday, but I shall take a candle with me on my travels, and light that for a moment.


Amongst this sad news, there is some joy - I found out in the same message that a previous lecturer of mine is getting married to another member of the department. I wish him and his future wife all the joy in the world.


Thus, the world continues, in balance, the good with the bad. It is always worth remembering that sadness is always followed by moments of joy, and visa versa.




0 comments: